Welcome to Saint Mary Sigourney
OUR MISSION & Vision
We, the faith community of St. Mary’s, Sigourney, Iowa, mindful of Jesus’ command to carry on his mission, will, the the best of our ability, provide life long faith formation opportunities for our parish members. We will reach out to all members of our parish and community as family. Our concern will lead us to provide for the needs of the marginalized and poor in our community. As a community, prayer and worship will define who we are. We will celebrate each person’s importance. As a family we will insure everyone’s need; and concerns are addressed to bring out community. We are called to use the parish resources wisely to insure our viability and to fulfill the gospel.
St. Mary of the Assumption
The first Catholic Church in Sigourney was built in 1973. The second parish church was built in 1889. By 1908 the parish was outgrowing the second building. It was enlarged and redecorated three times. It served the parish needs from 1890 -1853.
In 1944 a fund drive was started for a new church and rectory. In 1950 property was purchased from the R. D. Kelly family . The cornerstone was laid in October 1952. The new church received wide recognition as one of the most unusual church properties in the mid-west. Bishop Ralph Hayes of Davenport dedicated the present church on December 8, 1953.
During the summer of 1963, St. Mary’s school was built. A total of 125 students in grades 1-8 attended classes in the fall of 1963.
In August of 1995 a Marian Shrine of the Blessed Virgin and child was dedicated on the church grounds. In the fall of 2002 the front entrance of Saint Mary’s was rebuilt so that the church building would be handicap accessible.
The parish celebrated 50 years in the present church building on August 17, 2003, with a BBQ dinner for the entire community. St. Mary’s. Priests who have served as pastors of St. Mary’s are: Fr. Francis Ward, Fr. James Cleary, Fr. Joseph Hauser, Fr. James Makin, Fr. William Snell, Fr. Francis Lollich, Msgr. Edward Greer and Fr. Ernest Braida, Father Phillip Ryan, Fr. Marty Goetz, Fr. Charles Fladung and currently Fr. Robert Lathrop.